Re: REST API of create_lab, suspend_lab, resume_lab, delete_lab in place

On 07/17/2015 03:05 PM, Felarca, Mario Marcaida wrote:
> Hi Kacper,
>
> Thanks for the review. Some comments inline.
>

>> I looked at that application briefly. As far as I can tell you have
>> a js app that spawns python shell to execute script that uses
>> cmdline arguments to wrap around novaclient, which is yet another
>> wrapper around native OpenStack API. Wouldn't it be simpler to just
>> call OpenStack API directly via e.g. jQuery? There's no obligation
>> to use Python along the way.
>
> We actually discussed this to some degree in the past, and then
> actually touched on it today as well for a brief moment. I think the
> initial move to do it this way was to try to leverage the existing
> file and still allow for the system to be spun up via command line.
> Additionally, as Lengyue pushes in other scripts to handle the other
> API calls, that would also potentially allow those commands to be
> executed via command line still.

Well, those scripts don't introduce anything beyond what e.g. nova
client offers. You spawn a shell to run them, you can just run nova instead.

Take `delete_lab.py`[1] as an example. This script takes credentials and
id as commandline arguments to remove vm instance. Why not call 'nova
delete id' instead, since you're already opening subshell?

> Do you feel that is something we should continue to support? Or do
> you feel it makes more sense to simply call the openstack endpoint
> directly instead?

I think it's always better to keep things as simple as possible.

- Kacper

[1]
https://bitbucket.org/nds-org/nds-webservice/src/tip/delete_lab.py?at=nds-27-implement-create-rest-endpoint

>> BTW, you can also authenticate user once to generate token, which
>> then can be reused for each API call.
>>

> I believe that is what we are going to push to do as the UI gets
> built out. However for now, that aspect of things hasn't been
> implemented yet.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Mario-
>

>> Cheers, Kacper