Re: Ongoing architecture work

Dear All,

Matt asked me to say a little about the dashboard I have been working on.   I saw Ed Seidel give a talk in Hannover last month and become interested in the NDS concept.  Since then I have been experimenting with the idea of using the Object reuse and exchange (OAI-ORE) Web-based protocol to represent a research piece, along with the associated doc, data, code, tools, etc,  as a Web aggregation.  So, the general idea/hypothesis is that this model could help expose a publication collection as a single entity using a standardized method through the Web and that different serialisations of this model can be mapped using Web content negotiation (e.g. HTML, XML, JSON etc) to create different "views" e.g. a Web landing page, a Web API, a downloadable bundle, etc, depending on the query. Since ORE exposes a resource map that defines the relationships between the content, such an API can be used to discover (introspect) the web aggregation and interact with it programmatically.

To this end, I have created a pilot Website that models ORE concepts for creating and displaying research publications along with the various resources that can be included with them.  It is written using Semantic UI and leverages HTML5 drag and drop to simplify the process. I would be happy to provide a URL to that site if anyone is interested in learning more, sending comments or getting involved in that aspect.

Thanks, all the best,

Ian